Monday, June 6, 2016

Emancipation

Freedom?
They question
Freedom
They say with disgust
Freedom!
I shout and chant it
Freedom!
That Sarafina fought for
Freedom!
My dream... As Martin Luther King Jr also had his dream
Freedom!
To attain self actualization
For I have liberation
That is not a limitation
To use my full potential

Am I not your equal?
Am I not supposed to breathe in oxygen and breath out carbon dioxide?
Is it not blood that is supposed to flow through my veins?
I may differ from some of you because of gender
Because of ideology
Because I lack a limb or two
Because I can't speak out my words as fast as you do
But I still ask...
Am I not your equal?
Do I not deserve to be treated like a human or a fellow animal?
Because under biology we are animal mammals.
I deserve respect the same way you do
I deserve to have a voice the same way you do
I deserve equal shares of humanity
In this company we call life.

Chains
Is what you have put me in
Chains
Both physical and mental
Chains
Of bondage
Chains
Of regret
Chains
Of "You can't do it"
Chains
Of "You won't do it"
"You won't make it"
"You're not worth it"
Chains! Chains! Chains!
I WILL BREAK THEM!!!

Liberate me
Set me free

Liberate me
I am your equal

Liberate me
Break these chains

Liberation
Is what I seek

Liberation
Is what I crave

Liberation
I shall fight
To attain it

No comments:

Post a Comment